Client: Tower Hamlets Homes
Contract Description: THH has appointed Armstrong York, as a suitably qualified asbestos consultant to carry out a borough wide survey to determine the presence and condition of asbestos containing materials (ACM) in the communal and boundary curtilage areas of council owned blocks of flats. A high proportion of dwellings will also require to be surveyed. The expected output is a comprehensive asbestos register and management plan for communal areas and dwellings. The dwellings will be cloned based on an agreed targeted risk matrix. The asbestos register will be compatible with the Council asset management system Keystone and repairs system Northgate.
Tower Hamlets is an inner London Borough situated to the east of the City of London. The population has increased significantly over the last ten years to more than 200,000 now. Almost half of the population is from black and ethnic minority communities with the majority Bangladeshi in origin. There are 3 other significant populations; Somali, Vietnamese and Cantonese. The Borough has the highest occupation density in the U.K. The housing stock is located primarily in a densely populated urban environment with the majority of council owned properties being greater than three storeys. Nearly all work will be with residents in occupation many of whom do not have English as a first language. Almost a half of residents are leaseholders who will be required to pay a proportion of many of the works carried out and consequently have a greater interest in the works being carried out correctly.
THH currently manages a total asset base of over 21,149 units in 911 blocks and 771 street property houses. These comprise the following:
- • 12,000 General Needs dwellings, including:
– Flats (912 blocks) – Maisonettes
– Houses (780)
- 9 Supported Scheme Units
- 9,000 Leaseholder Units
- 2 Shared Ownership Units
- Communal Areas, including lifts, staircases, laundries and play areas
- Land & Amenity Space
- Around 1,200 Garages & 5,500 Parking Spaces
- 243 retail shops.
There are an estimated 912 blocks and provisionally 1,200 dwellings and houses to be surveyed. This work is expected to take 6 to 12 months to complete from the date of commencement.
Armstrong York are expected to carry out a comprehensive asbestos survey for communal areas with a cloned dwelling survey based on an agreed targeted risk matrix. The survey activity includes but is not to limited to the following;
- Undertake asbestos management surveys
- Undertake asbestos refurbishment or demolition management surveys
- Provide professional and concise asbestos reports in accordance with HSG264 (or as updated) including material risk assessments and the provision of required reports to meet specific asbestos operating templates.
- Provide reports in an Excel file or in any other format compatible with Keystone and Northgate databases.
- Provide analysis of asbestos bulk samples through the use of a UKAS accredited ISO 17025 laboratory.
- If required an accelerated provision for undertaking surveys and individual bulk sampling of suspect materials on ad hoc basis and providing THH with results and reports, including providing verbal results of sample testing by phone with result to follow
- Prepare Asbestos Risk Assessments and management plans
- Asbestos register formatted and aligned to the survey outputs in order that there is ease of access to the register in Keystone and enable an interface with the Northgate Housing Management system.
- Management and supervision of asbestos removal/remediation in relations to this contract.
- Undertake (if required) and prepare third party gap analysis of THH’s in house procedures
- Review and update THH’s Asbestos Management Plan
- Working with THH to improve the current arrangements for managing asbestos and to ensure satisfactory compliance with legal requirements and regulations such as Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR).
- The complete survey and outputs are required to be completed within 6 months of the commencement date.