Over two million work places contain asbestos, and it remains the single biggest cause of work related deaths in the UK.
Among the changes made in the updated Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 was the inclusion, within Regulation 10, of a requirement for specified groups to receive asbestos awareness training. This will impact upon Duty Holders who may be responsible for ensuring that visiting contractors are properly trained.
Those at risk include:
• General maintenance staff
• Plasterers, painters and caretakers
• Roofers and scaffolders
• Plumbers, gas fitters, electricians, joiners and shop fitters
• Telecom engineers, computer engineers, building surveyors
• Fire and burglar alarm installers
• Construction workers, heating and ventilation engineers.